
I've been in design hell for the last few weeks. I had this horrible project to build a tower out of 1/8" wooden dowels, wood glue and white thread. It had to be 38" tall and be able to support a kiln brick weighing 8 lbs. I had 4 different designs. After throwing out several of them I ended up with the one you see here.

I'm not doing so hot in this class and it's killing me. I mean... I don't get D's. I just don't. But I am.

The tough thing to do is not take it personally. Yet art programs are really subjective. I shouldn't allow one person to define my experience... but it's like when someone doesn't like you... you shouldn't care but you do.
2 comments:
the hardest lesson you will learn out of school that it isnt 'your art'. At least if you want to make money at it. You will be asked by people you dont like or respect to do horrible things to your designs, things you dont agree with.
you need to separate (in your head) the work that you are paid to do, and the work you do and the work you do for yourself. School work is like work you are paid to do.
Gosh... that is a hard lesson. I think I knew I should do that,and I haven't been. Hearing it from someone who's been there... sure does help to put things into perspective. I've been investing an awful lot of myself into this and I really shouldn't. Thanks SB. You da man.
Post a Comment