I've been doing some journalling and lots of contemplation. I think part of my isolation and loneliness feeling stems from being an only child. Coupled with not being a mom at my age and it's just a recipe for singularity.
Even my girlfriend from childhood... we've known each other since we were in 4th grade.... she was sort of like an only child. Her brother was in his late 20's when she was born and when we were kids, he had toddlers. She says she thinks of him as sort of an uncle or something. But she has a brother. She's not an only child.
Only children understand the concept of siblings but we don't get it really. We've never been there. We don't know what that's like. Many of my friends have said I'm not missing anything... well honestly how would they know?
Just like I'm not supposed to have an opinion about child-rearing.
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I tend to think of this as being a "the grass is always greener on the other side" concept. Being the oldest of lots of siblings that includes halfs and steps, it was (is) not always easy. But, I can't imagine my life without them.
As for parenting, just b/c you don't have kids doesn't mean you can't have an opinion!
Post a Comment