Christmas was lovely, quiet, filled with family. Santa was nice to me. Santa was nice to us. It was lovely having R home. If you know us, you might know that last year R and I were overseas but he was somewhere hot and sandy and I was stuck in England for Christmas. We missed a lot last year so we are relishing our time together this year. As well as our time with family.
My mother was on a cruise for Christmas. Her friend lost her husband just after Thanksgiving and not wanting to spend her holiday alone this year, paid for a 3-day cruise to Mexico for several of her close friends. This included my mother and her husband. I'm glad she got out of the house to spend time with friends for a while. She needed that.

I called my father and step-mom. To them Christmas is just another day. Stepmonster usually works on Christmas so someone with little kids can have the day off. Gee, lucky for me I only had to sit through the one lecture as opposed to two. Yes, thank God I got my annual Christmas You-should-do-this-then-you'll-have-a-better-life lecture.
This year's theme was "stop watching tv."
Okay I have to get this off my chest. I'm a firm believer that too much TV can lead to brain-rot.
Well here's the thing: I read a lot out of necessity as well as desire; I also enjoy video games (I got "Sims 2" for Christmas and I'm loving it!); I draw; I am learning watercolor; I cook a lot; clean the house; read the paper; spend time with my family; walk the dog; I sew; knit; crochet; make all sorts of stuff; and yeah, I also like TV.
Well you know what the bottom line is? I'm 38 years old. I pay my bills. I've served my country. I vote. I'm a supporter of environmental and humanitarian causes. I have a very full life. I take care of myself, a very large puppy and a big guy who's really just a kid himself. Maybe I don't always do what's best for myself but I think I'm allowed to screw that up now and again as a citizen of the world.

So here it is: Get off my back about watching tv!! You are not a better person because you don't watch it. You may have more time for other things but that's your choice. Your self-righteous bullshit has reached a new high, Daddy....
My father makes a point of telling me every time we speak that he doesn't have TV or more than one radio station and that clearly he thinks his life is so much better than mine. No one's choices make one a better person than someone else. Maybe it's best for you, but do not delude yourself into believing you know what's best for someone else who's a capable, mentally stable adult.
Just because your life works for you does not mean it would work for someone else. If I want to make a change, I'll make it when I choose to do so.
*Sigh* I've gone without tv before. My cousin and I were discussing this and when we were kids we didn't watch TV at all. Not til we were 7 or so. There were also periods in my life where tv wasn't available. The only thing I missed was an occasional tv show I liked, such as X-Files or Twin Peaks, but really it was not a big deal. Now all the sudden I'm a brain-rotted, irresponsible, culturally numb errant child at 38. Well that does it for this rant... Law and Order: Criminal Intent is on.
No comments:
Post a Comment