Thursday, December 15, 2005

sobs of relief

I have really been stewing about that research paper and the "why did you plagiarize?" comment on the front along with the big fat ZERO after all that work and effort. I know I made some mistakes. Research papers have changed over the years and I didn't know that nor did I take the time to figure out what "MLA" really meant. I just thought it was a way to format your bibliography. I had no idea there was a lot more to it.

I wrote my professor an email explaining all this and here's what she wrote back, "First of all, you are a good student and I know you wrote the paper. Because you are a good student it is important that you know how things are done properly now. When I grew up we used a bibliography. Now that is the books you read in preparation. The material from which you got ideas and concepts and phrases, etc. should be in your Works Cited page. That is MLA and I suggest you buy the paperback. Don't go online and find junk; get the correct handbook. Or, go to the Writing Lab on campus and have them give you the materials. It is important to do it correctly because some teachers are sticklers. They don't always know who cheats and who does not. It is easy to buy papers now and/or get them off the internet. I do check sources so I can find out who fakes it. That is not the case for you; you deserved and made an A in the class. I took the time to write you so that you learn. You can call me if you wish 238-XXXX. I'll be home late tonight. I am happy to go over it with you next semester. I can show you the proper way and the logic behind it. Actually, it is easy and will make a good record for you in the future in case you wish to reuse some of the material.
Have a wonderful holiday. Thanks for writing."

Needless to say I'm overjoyed that this is sorted out. I plan on calling her tomorrow when I get back from "work" :)

Thanks for all the positive energy!

5 comments:

steakbellie said...

great. like Birdy said, dont let things like this sink you, you really have to fight these things when they happens because they can alters your path forever.

Anonymous said...

Why the hell was she sucha douchebag about it?
Why not just write "See me ASAP!" instead of busting your ass like she did?
I hate that shit.

It's the "Last Call" said...

yeah birdykins, I wondered that as well... seemed a bit draconian to just hammer me/one chance only... but I'm just glad it's over.

steakie, believe me when I tell ya, I would have gone down swingin' no way would I let her or anyone for that matter keep me from my dream. I've waited 20 years and gave up a pension, successful career and full medical/dental to follow my heart...

Anonymous said...

UGHHH....I feel you there.

That format is forced upon us in my highschool by our snobby stuck-up control-freak english teachers. I myself just finished a paper in this format. I reccomend the paperback, it's all there.

By the way, a friend did research on the MLA format and found out it hasn't been widely used in over 100 years.

I'll just let that sink in...

~Dizzy
http://www.livejournal.com/~dizzythegreat

steakbellie said...

my friend Birdy is right yet again. This was a dick move by your teacher. A total 'i have power; gonna teach you a lesson' kind of thing. Hey douchebag, we can all learn just by a simple meeting and not by threatening us with expulsion from our dreams.

of course there is no recourse for you in this case, but to take it and move on. You need the A, but never forget what an asshole this teacher really is.