Friday, December 16, 2005

talk to me...

My mom and I always say that we have "Tell me EVERYTHING" tattooed on our foreheads. We always seem to find ourselves trapped by the oddest people within 40 miles who want to tell us their entire life's story.

This happens no matter where I go. As reserved as the English are I always found myself listening to some crazy story about Aunt Harriet and why she won't shop in that street anymore because of all the yobs and gosh hasn't the traffic gotten worse here and blather blather blather... Hell this even happened in Germany... random people would just start talking to me, in whole conversations, not approaching me with a friendly question...

I really could be anywhere, someone will start talking to me, telling me all about Uncle Joe and Brother Bob, their respective spouses or children, their cancer scare, a divorce, dental problems, you name something relatively personal and they'd just unload to me about it. The location is never the common denominator either... restaurants, bars, shops, work.

It happened three different times today, three very different locations. Once at the bank. Twice at K-mart (cargo pants for R were on sale). Once at the bookstore.

So now I know that the lady at the bank is having serious marital issues. I know that the little old lady at K-mart doesn't care for depression glass but she sure does think Martha Stewart is smart and she wishes she were that smart... and the cashier guy is having issues with his mother keeping him up talking all night about his sister and whatever (I had to stop listening). And I now know all about the lady at the bookstore who is in nursing school and that one of them is in trouble for not buying back both books in the anatomy set.

Freak magnet. Maybe I should get my own talk show. Why not? Everyone has one... even Tyra Banks now.

No comments: