Tuesday, October 25, 2005

apple run

It's apple season in Tennessee. We went for the traditional family autumn apple run. This is a ritual that heralds the autumn season in and marks just a few weeks til Thanksgiving. R's family has always been so wonderful to me and included me in all the family stuff. I'm always telling my mom that I'm in good hands over here. Even when R is working so hard, his mom and dad are really great to me.


We had girlie girl night last night at Heather's house. Again, these are R's mother's girlfriends who have just welcomed me with open arms. They are wonderfully warm and so fantastic, not just to each other but they've banded together to bring some comfort and joy to others as well.

A few years ago, they decided that they had enough in their lives and were so blessed so instead of giving each other silly presents for Christmas or birthdays, they decided to give themselves a present and help out some women who really needed it. Through Rosemary's church these women have "adopted" a young single mother of two and an older lady who has hit on hard times. Every so often they'll bring them groceries, send them small packages of things, or help them out by sending them gift cards from the grocery store or Wal-Mart. This year I'm planning on making a package of cards for the older lady and putting together some crayons and color books for the kids. I may not be able to participate with money but I can certainly make them something.

I just think this is a fantastic idea for anyone to do at Christmas time or anytime really.

I adopted a wolf for my stepmom once. It made me feel good that I was doing something that would keep on giving for her. She wasn't that impressed but I sure did like doing it.

I've managed to do all of 3 hours worth of work on my papers that are due. I think I gave myself too much stuff to do.

1 comment:

steakbellie said...

"I adopted a wolf for my stepmom once." thats one of the most awesome sentences ever.

I like that they adopted a family like that. everybody needs an angel on their shoulder.

I LOVE that photo. I lived in Tennesee when I was a toddler. My mom said I had a Southern Accent.

Now I'm a cyncial nasty man from jersey....oh well