Tuesday, September 27, 2005

over-reacting?

I have written before and explored how friends can let you down, disappoint you or betray. Even while I've admitted that I've done it, never has it been so apparent to me as with my friend Adam. I wrote a poem about him, what he's been going through and how much it pains me to watch his suffering. The poem started out pretty vague, abstract, non-specific. After my professor gave me a critique of it, I incorporated his suggestions and expanded the poem to include some pretty specific imagery. I included names. Before I turn it in, I have written to my friend and asked him if it was okay, included a copy of the poem and a description of the viewpoint... that was weeks ago. I've re-read my work just as a matter of course, and after a bit of distance from it I realize now it was probably a lot harsher than I first comprehended. I think I've lost my friend. I've let him down. I've betrayed him in a sense. I didn't think I was. I didn't think I had done anything wrong. I was so caught up in my own work and so focussed on the product that I didn't imagine the possible shockwave. I feel like a heel. I feel terrible about this. How could I have done this? How could I betray my friend and not even have any sort of deliberation about it? This was a person who held me up when I kept falling... he would never do nor say anything to hurt me ever. At least not on purpose. Fact is, neither would I do anything on purpose to hurt anyone I care about. I don't know if he realizes this nor do I know if it matters... if he's so wounded by it that he'll never forgive me. It might be that I reopened something or maybe he really just can't talk about it right now... but instead of telling me he just shuts me down. I'm on "auto-delete" for sure. Sometimes when you're faced with something terrible you've done, it's so hard to deal with it that you ignore it. Well I'm not ignoring it. I'm trying to do the responsible thing and fess up to my sin. But I don't think anyone's listening. I guess the bottom line is we all have to sort of make allowances, forgive and communicate our boundaries in such a way that it makes it unlikely your friend will hurt you if they respect you.