For the last few weeks R and I have been unable to honor our Tuesday movie habit. We have a frequent movie-goer card and Tuesdays are free popcorn for us matineers.
Today's installment was Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.
Let me just say that I'm a huge fan of anything C. S. Lewis wrote. He was a brilliant writer and his stories were beautiful. I read this book as a kid and I loved it. I read a couple of the others in the series as well but never finished the whole thing.
As for the movie, I really enjoyed it. I thought the photography was beautifully done, the screenplay did the story justice. I think he would have liked it. For me, to see a movie that is based on a book, is really an opportunity to compare what the director envisioned the writer meant to convey and what I read. I rarely freak out about the movie not following the book. For me it's all about interpretation...
The only time I ever freak out about interpretation is ballet... I hate it when a choreographer takes dramatic, interpretive license with a classic, traditional story in ballet. If I want modern interpretive dance, I'll go to a modern interpretive dance presentation. If I want The Nutcracker, then I want it to be The Nutcracker that I remember. This is really the only thing I'm a stickler about. But I digress.
The new Harry Potter was very well filmed. As was Narnia. Thursday is possible King Kong sighting. This weekend before school starts, possibly Memoirs of a Geisha. I love matinees. :)
Tuesday, January 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I want to see Narnia!! There are so many movies I want to see. I try to at least see all the movies nominated for best picture Oscars, but I like to see the ones up for acting, directing, and screenplay awards as well. Right now I'm using the Golden Globe nominations as a guide. I'm too poor to go see them all! But I went to 3 movies last week, so I'm on my way.
Yeah I'm with ya.. I always want to see those movies that are "award winners" in the theatre, the way they're supposed to be seen. I'm worried that the cinematic experience is going the way of the do-do bird... *sigh*
Post a Comment