I've always believed in the idea that an unexamined life isn't worth having. So, when asked what religion I am, I said "None in particular."
I tend to follow a Judeo-Christian ethic, I believe in God... this world is too ordered to be random. My opinion. I believe in an absolute truth but I also believe it's just not possible for my brain to comprehend the absolute truth.
Having said that, I tend to not follow any particular religion because I find they're too caught up in the dogma of their own religion, seeming to have all the answers, frowning at the questions I tend to ask.
It's quite common in the Bible Belt for someone to ask what church you attend and be shocked or seem disappointed in you if you don't belong to any particular church. I am slowly getting used to it, yet I still find it almost impertinent to ask that of anyone.
I would never ask anyone I didn't know, nor would I presume someone is a Christian. I've known Muslims, Buddhists, Pagans, Agnostics, Atheists, Jews, people in cults, and everything in between. How dare anyone just assume anything about your religion.
The fact that I'm a bit offended indicates to me that maybe I'm being too sensitive... yet when I think rationally about the entire situation, it's like the same feeling I get when someone asks why I don't have kids. I mean surely at my age, I should have several offspring running about sticking gum under things, right?
On a side note... I love my algebra teacher... he's not only fun but he's helpful. Sunday practice sessions for students right before a test! Yeah man! I love that! He rules.
Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment