Wednesday, November 16, 2005

One thing that used to really bug me about England and the English was that they always wanted to protect us from ourselves... well I'm beginning to notice that Americans are becoming the same way.

The latest example was on the Today show this morning on a controversy over the male body sprays that are advertised like "Axe." The adverts are pretty funny if you haven't seen them. It usually involves a pyramid of hottie cheerleaders jumping on top of the guy as he walks by, or tackling him in a grocery store.



The latest "that's bad" words come from Dr. Drew. (Secretly I think Dr. Drew is really hot, but that's beside the point.) According to Dr. Drew the ad campaigns for these body sprays (Axe, Tag, Bod) are sending the wrong message that men don't want women unless they are "empty vessels" just waiting for sex.

Hm.

I conducted my own mini-survey and as far as I can tell, the men who are the target audience for these adverts (18-22 year olds) don't care to have any conversation with women anyway. So what exactly is the problem?

My survey subjects have said that, yes, in fact when they were 18-22 the last thing in the world they want is a meaningful conversation with a girl they want to have sex with. They have chick friends for that.

So... why is Dr. Drew upset? He said that it's not healthy to convey that to young women. Last I checked, chicks know this. We don't like it much, but it's the reality of boys and we know it. Let us at least have a laugh at ourselves about it. Geez Drew.

No comments: