Monday, June 13, 2005

dreams

I had a dream last night about Anna. She was much older, probably 10 or so, and I was supposed to pick her up from school. Of course the setting wasn't her school, nor anyplace I knew for that matter, but I came to pick her up and she was talking to an old lady. The old lady had given her some of those post-it flags/bookmarks. I recognized the lady didn't have a lot of money from the way she was dressed and how she comported herself. I reminded Anna to thank the lady for the bookmarks. She was genuinely grateful and asked me if I would send her some magazines, she liked the fashion ones the best. I promised to send her "Jane" and "Seventeen" even though they were a little old for her. Anna kept asking for her mother as well. I did my best to get her home from school and talk to her, but I felt like we were still struggling to see eye-to-eye. Still struggling to deal with each other. That's probably not articulated well... and it's not as if Anna and I don't get along. We do, but there are those struggles that women have with each other, vying for attention, vying for affection. We don't even intend to do it, but it's in us, rearing its ugly head, waiting to cloud our judgment. Waiting to sabotage our relationships, sabotage our own confidence. We struggle against it, intellectualizing that it's wrong to feel this way about someone we love.

I'm still working on this one.

No comments: